CENSIS is an industry-driven centre of excellence for Sensor and Imaging Systems (SIS) and Internet of Things (IoT) technologies, integrating academic research and industry communities.
Our aim is to help companies generate economic growth.
This could be in a number of areas, for example:
- Transforming ideas into new products or services.
- Assistance with breaking in to new markets.
Companies of all sizes can use SIS and IoT technologies to improve their businesses innovation. And, as SIS and IoT are key enabling technologies achieving quality, efficiency and performance across all key markets, we work with companies from a wide range of market sectors.
A supportive and business-friendly environment
We will help you to deliver innovation
We will help you identify and deliver innovation in to your business; partnering with your company and with research experts from across the university base.
The project teams created by CENSIS will work on collaborative projects and focus on industry solutions:
- Industry brings domain sector and application knowledge
- Universities bring leading-edge science and research
- CENSIS brings sensor and imaging systems solution and technology landscape knowledge
- CENSIS also provides project management and engineering capability
Why engage with CENSIS?
We work with industry to support Collaborative R&D (CR&D) projects in response to company need, helping to assemble fundable projects and guiding industry to leverage finance through partnering with the Scottish research community.
We have academic partners at Scotland’s universities and Research Organisations, and can integrate the SIS-relevant expertise and facilities from all of Scotland’s universities.
We have in-house engineering and project management capabilities to allow our commercially experienced team to guide and provide expertise, getting involved as required throughout the lifecycle of your project.
We work with the full supply chain to optimise exploitation opportunities. Our networks include connections with end users, developers, integrators and solution providers to fully support commercialisation opportunities.
We also offer opportunities for employee training and development, and opportunities to recruit graduates into your organisation via our EngD programme placement.
Summary of benefits for Business and Industry
- A new community: Be part of a our community of users, and get involved via a network of workshops, meetings, and events, providing a new and effective platform for disseminating knowledge across the sector in SIS and IoT technologies.
- Build projects: We will help you to build a fundable technology development project, make introductions to partners where appropriate, and guide you to leverage finance through knowledge exchange partnering with the academic sector.
- Straightforward contractual terms: Open and transparent heads of terms for companies engaging with CENSIS, and standardised Intellectual Property template agreements; all designed to help projects clear early stage contractual hurdles easily and quickly.
- Access skilled staff: Project management and skilled technical staff with industry experience; to work collaboratively to ensure projects are delivered on time, within scope, and on budget. We will give you simple and straightforward access to a whole network of leading university researchers and help you identify the right researcher to work with.
- Access the right facilities: Our networks of university partners can offer access to state-of-the-art equipment and facilities that companies may wish to use but are specialised or too expensive for many smaller companies.
- Influence the research base: Take the chance to influence how CENSIS funding is allocated to longer-term strategic research in universities, tackling common challenges and needs identified by the market.
- Professional training and development: Varied and flexible opportunities for employee and early-stage researcher training and development, including opportunities
Also, please note that CENSIS is part of a wider innovation ecosystem, so if we aren’t the right fit for you, we will introduce or refer you to the most appropriate partner, eg KTP, Scottish Enterprise or our sister Scottish innovation centres.
- Read our ‘Partnering with CENSIS’ interactive flyer on the different ways we can support your project challenge.
- Have a look at current CR&D activity in our Projects section.
- The CENSIS Review highlights activity in our first 3 years
- View the CR&D process step-by-step.
- Read more about the MSc and EngD programmes and the benefits they can bring to your organisation in our Skills section.
Contact our Business Development Team for a further discussion.