TSB Funding Call – including sensor innovation.
CR&D and Feasibility Study calls.
In a newly announced competition, the Technology Strategy Board, the Nuclear Decommissioning Authority (NDA) and the Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC) are partnering to invest up to £13m in collaborative R&D and feasibility studies projects which will stimulate innovation in the UK’s civil nuclear power sector and its supply chain. The competition whose scope covers existing plant and new build is seeking proposals in areas where the UK has the potential to become a technology leader. These areas are:
- Construction, installation, commissioning
- Operation and maintenance
- Waste management and decommissioning including storage
- Open theme (eg front end fuel cycle, SMRs)
Operation and Maintenance may be of particular interest to CENSIS partners as it includes a request for “… proposals for projects that will significantly speed up and improve the quality, accuracy and reliability of the operation and maintenance of both new and existing plant. This may be through innovation in areas such as structural health monitoring, control systems, virtual reality, robotics, sensors, ICT and non-destructive evaluation technologies.”
Funding is allocated into 2 types of project
- Up to £10m is allocated for collaborative industrial research projects. (Up to 60% funding available)
- Up to £3m will be available for smaller-scale feasibility studies.(Up to 75% funding available)
The call will open on 17th March 2014, with a submission deadline of 30th March 2014.
There will be two brokering events to facilitate consortium building:
1) 21 January 2014: Doubletree Manchester Piccadilly Hotel, Manchester – REGISTER: www.eventsforce.net/tsbdnsc1
2) 12 February 2014: Rheged Centre, Penrith – REGISTER: www.eventsforce.net/tsbdnsc2