NOTE: This event has now passed.View current events
Hello Digital, An Lòchran Campus, Inverness IV2 5NA
IoT and the LoRa IoT communications network: what they are, what they can do and why your business needs them.
The Internet of Things allows you to put information about anything on to the internet, and to use the information this gives you. Anything. From wearables to bins,
streetlights to bridges, production line parts to thermostats; anything can be connected.
Analysts agree that by 2020 there will be at least 30 billion connected ‘things’ in the world. But why would you want or need so many of them phoning home? And what does it mean for your business?
Come along to this free workshop from Highlands and Islands Enterprise to find out more.
Please join staff from CENSIS and Stream Technologies as they guide you through the possibilities and potential of IoT and learn about how it is already having an impact on how we live and work.
About the Event
The session begins with a non-technical guided tour of IoT and its various communication networks, including the LoRa IoT network. Lots of examples will be given on how this technology can bring very real benefits to a whole range of sectors and markets – from housing stock to refuse collection, from tourism to farming, and from life sciences to the care sector. A couple of in-depth case studies will introduce you to IoT projects already happening in the Highlands.
We will show you how your company can get on board, and explain how integrating this technology into your business can be easy and affordable.
The event will include demonstrations of IoT and LoRa; the new IoT networking technology recently installed on the An Lòchran campus in Inverness.
- 12:30 Lunch and networking
- 13:15 Introduction and overview of IoT
- 13:40 IoT ‘smart office’ demonstration
- 14:00 Case studies (LoRa network at An Lòchran/NHS Innovation)
- 14:30 The business case for IoT
- 15:00 Q&A, demonstrations, networking in the #hellodigital lab space
- 16:00 Close
What will I learn?
By the end of the event you will gain an understanding of:
- What IoT is
- The different communication networks that support IoT, including LoRa
- The ways in which IoT can benefit different sectors and markets
- The new LoRa network at An Lochran, Inverness and how your business can get involved
- How the business case for IoT stacks up
- How to get started in IoT, how to scale up, and how to get the support you need
Who should attend?
This event is for everyone and is designed for people who do not run ‘technology’ businesses.
You do not need to have any kind of engineering or computer science background to benefit from attending, just a curiosity about IoT and how it could lead to efficiencies and costs savings in your own company or organisation.
If you have an idea for a FitBit for cows (sorry that one’s already taken) or revolutionise car parking with IoT (that’s gone too!), come along and find out more.
It’s free to attend this course. To register, please visit HIE’s website