CENSIS, 121 George Street, Glasgow G1 1RD
This workshop is full, however please contact us to be added to the waiting list or to register your interest for a later date.
Please join BAE Systems for a Design for Manufacture and Test (DfM/T) customer focus day, to be held at the CENSIS office in Glasgow.
The workshop is designed to provide an understanding of the benefits that can be achieved through the adoption of DfM/T techniques when developing a new product design. Delegates will also discover how BAE Systems Hillend has saved its customers more than £53M over the past 15 years by employing these techniques.
This is an interactive and informative event that includes a bit of competitive fun in a practical DfM exercise. It also presents a great opportunity to network with other engineers.
The course uses mostly PCBs and electronic assemblies as the examples, but the principles used are the same regardless of the technologies being used be it ship building or microelectronics. The course is suited to all types of engineering backgrounds.
Who should attend
The event is designed for engineers with a technical design background in mechanical or electrical engineering. Regrettably, the workshop is not suitable for current students or very recent graduates. It is free to attend and includes lunch and refreshments.
There are three elements to the day:
- Presentation demonstrating the principles used by BAE Systems in its DfM/T methods.
- Practical exercise designed to demonstrate how DfM/T can be used to develop an everyday item to reduce cost and ease manufacturing.
- A facility virtual tour with a focus on the ways in which DfM/T has improved the product, and where current products that have not been through such a process can add manufacturing time and cost on the shop floor.
- 09:45 – 10:00 Coffee and registration
- 10:00 – 10:15 Welcome and Introductions
- 10:15 – 10:45 DfT/M presentation (the purpose of DfM/T and the benefits it highlights to PCB layout and assembly)
- 10:45 – 11:30 DfT/M realisation Task (a practical example of DfM methodology)
- 11:30 – 12:00 Case study and coffee
- 12:00 – 12:45 Lunch, including a tour of CENSIS IoT Demo Centre and labs
- 12:45 – 14:30 Virtual facility tour, BAE Systems Hillend (showing live examples of the what impact poor design can have on a manufacturing environment)
- 14:30 – 15:00 Coffee, debrief and feedback
- 15:00 – 16:00 AOB, networking and close
Apply to join us
This is a popular, established workshop from BAE Systems, and we expect places to fill up quickly. To register your interest to attend, please email us with the following information:
- Your name and contact details (email and telephone number)
- Job title and current employer
- Let us know in a couple of sentences why you are interested in attending
CENSIS will contact you to let you know the outcome of your application.
Please note that because of the limited number of places, we’ll have to give priority to engineers with experience or a proven interest in this area.