CENSIS, Inovo Building, 121 George Street, Glasgow G1 1RD
08:45 – 16:30
The IoT Centre at CENSIS helps companies overcome product development challenges to fast-track the creation of IoT products and services. In addition to a demonstration area and project development space, we offer regular seminars with high profile vendors to provide advice and guidance on how best to use their products to generate greater business efficiencies.
The workshop is free to attend, and refreshments and lunch are included.
Who Should Attend?
The workshop is based around practical, hands-on sessions and is aimed at hardware and software engineers working on IoT applications. Regrettably the workshop is not suitable for current undergraduates or new graduates.
Based around the Digi XBee family this informative workshop will cover the principles of RF communications detailing some of the more common frequencies and protocols used. Participants will leave the workshop with all the knowledge required to start working on an XBee RF application to create solutions for monitoring and controlling sensors remotely enabling their IoT project.
At the end of the day, delegates will have the knowledge to start working on an XBee RF application to create solutions for monitoring and controlling sensors remotely.
Training materials will be provided, including development kits and a laptop preloaded with the development tools you will be using. You may be asked to pair up and share kit for the training.
08:45 – Coffee and registration
09:00 – Welcome and Digi introduction
09:30 – Introduction to RF technologies
- RF basics
- Available frequencies and topologies
- Detailed overview of protocols such as ZigBee, 802.15.4 and DigiMesh
10:30 – Digi RF product overview
- Digi XBee module product family
- XBee RF Gateways
- Introduction to the new Smart Sized XBee3 Series modules
- Benefits and features of the Digi solution (including AT and API modes)
11:30 – Hands-on 1: Getting started with the XBee embedded module
- Using the X-CTU software for configuration and communication
- XBee API messaging example
- Performing a range test
12:30 – Lunch break and tour of CENSIS IoT Demo Centre
13:30 – Introduction to Digi Device Cloud for remote management and data communication
14:00 – Hands-on 2: XBee ZigBee cloud kit
- Getting started with the kit
- Using and extending the kit with additional RF components
- Remote access with Digi Device Cloud
15:45 – RF M2M Design Guide
- Best practices & criteria for designing an RF network
- Example network design including “working principle”
- Advanced network features such as many-to-one routing
16:30 – Q&A, close
Apply to join us
Places for this event are limited to 12 delegates. To register your interest, please email us and provide the following information:
- Name, email and telephone number
- Job title and current employer
- Please let us know in a couple of sentences why you are interested in this workshop
Please note that because of the limited number of places, we’ll have to give priority to engineers with experience or a proven interest in this area.