Scotland’s IoT Future: FutureTech Transport workshop
NOTE: This event has now passed.View current events
IoT and Transport – shaping opportunities for growth in Scotland
26 June 2019, 10:00-15:30
Edinburgh Trams HQ, Edinburgh Gateway Station, Edinburgh
The Scottish Government has commissioned CENSIS to explore and support the use of IoT in Scotland’s key economic sectors. Our first workshop focuses on IoT opportunities in transport, and our guest speaker is George Lowder MBE, Chief Executive of Transport for Edinburgh. The day includes a tour of Edinburgh Trams HQ including the tram control room.
Who is it for?
This is a non-technical event, exploring IoT in real world projects with a focus on user-services, quality of outcome and viable business cases. Afterwards, CENSIS will progress a number of further projects in detail.
The day is designed exclusively for people working in transport in Scotland – in the public or private sector, and in road, rail, sea and air.
Anyone with a challenge in this space and interested in using IoT to find a solution is welcome – from transportation and and logistics, to fleet vehicle management, passenger transport, transport planning, traffic management, and maritime and port operations. You do not need to have an IoT project or even be planning one – we want to hear about your challenges and explore how IoT could address them.
Potential IoT benefits
We’ll be talking about some of the benefits of incorporating IoT into transport, including:
- Vehicle/fleet health and maintenance, leading to fewer breakdowns or maintenance delays
- Advanced analytics for streamlined operations, transport flow and traffic management
- Improved transport logistics, condition monitoring and asset tracking
- Greater reliability and enhanced safety features
- Reduced fuel consumption
- Enhanced security and screening – of people and cargo
- Reduced administration for regulatory compliance
- Reducing reliance on vehicle ownership with the concept of ‘Mobility as a Service’
Apply to join us
If you would like to attend, please email firstname.lastname@example.org and let us know you’d like to attend the Transport FutureTech giving us:
- Your name and organisation
- Your job title
- A couple of lines on why you want to attend
- 10:00 Registration and coffee
- 10:30 Welcome and introduction (CENSIS)
- 10:35 View from a challenge provider (George Lowder, Transport for Edinburgh)
- 11:00 Opportunities for IoT in transport (CENSIS)
- 11:30 Coffee break
- 11:50 Workshop (discussion groups to identify opportunities)
- 12:50 Group feedback
- 13:00 Next steps and closing remarks (CENSIS)
- 13:15 Lunch and networking (plus opportunity for 1-2-1 meetings with CENSIS staff)
- 15:00 Close