NOTE: This event has now passed.View current events
An IoT Centre workshop in conjunction with Excelys
Please join CENSIS and Excelsys (now part of Advanced Energy) for a technical, interactive workshop; another in the series of seminars from CENSIS. The event is free to attend, with refreshments and lunch provided.
The workshop provides delegates with an introduction to the typical mid-power, low voltage power supply topology, along with the reasons for selection of different types of switching stages.
From there, important requirements such as reliability, thermal performance, safety certification and electromagnetic compatibility are discussed.
Finally, the signalling capabilities of modern power supplies are covered, with an emphasis on analog and digital control schemes.
A simple program to monitor and control a power supply using PMBus communication is worked through with the group.
Who should attend?
The workshop is designed to give an overview of critical considerations when selecting a power supply for your project, and the future role of intelligent, modular power supplies in the medical and industrial markets.
- A high-level understanding of the various topologies used in power supply design, along with their advantages and disadvantages
- Knowledge of the ‘unseen’ regulatory requirements of the medical and industrial markets, including safety and electromagnetic compatibility
- Understanding of the signalling capabilities of modern power supplies and how they can be used in diverse applications
- The ability to write simple program to control and monitor a coolx power supply
You will need to bring your own laptop on the day, and download software before you attend. Refreshments and lunch are provided.
- 08.30 Registration and system check for pre-installed tools
- 09.00 Introduction to power supply topologies
- 09.45 What to look for in power supply specifications / Thermal considerations
- 10.15 Break
- 10.30 Safety standards and compliance testing
- 11.15 EMC standards and compliance testing
- 12.00 Lunch
- 13.00 Communication with power supplies (Analog / Digital)
- 13.30 Requirements of specific applications
- 15.00 Break
- 15.15 From project requirements, configuring a supply from scratch (configurator, physically putting the supply together)
- 15.45 Introduction to CoolX PMBus communications using a Microchip MCP2221 Master Starting a Project in VB.NET
- 16.15 Writing a simple program to control and monitor the power supply outputs
- 16.30 Conclusions and wrap-up
- 17.00 Close
Apply to join us
Places for this event are limited to 10 delegates. To apply please email email@example.com with your details – we’ll need your name, job title and organisation and a couple of sentences about why you are interested in this workshop.