Virtual coffee: IoT for ports and shipping
NOTE: This event has now passed.View current events
Put the kettle on and join CENSIS for a catch up over a virtual coffee and connect with other companies, researchers and stakeholders working in the same space.
Led by CENSIS Business Development Managers Jim Cockram and Rachael Wakefield, this week’s coffee break will look at the IoT in ports and shipping.
The coffee break takes place online using Zoom. There’s no charge and participants can join using audio or video. Numbers are capped at a level that allows everyone to take part on the day. If you sign up, we strongly encourage you to join the conversation either to give us your thoughts, discuss examples of what’s happening in the sector, or ask questions.
A lot of maritime trade is still managed manually, with containers and cargo tracked using paperwork and visual inspection. IoT technologies could greatly simplify and reduce this paperwork, while also creating a more secure and visible supply chain to dramatically change the way goods are moved and managed around the world.
Potential points for discussion might include:
- Lower operating and capital costs: asset tracking, ship capacity automation, analytics for loading and unloading of cargo, environmental monitoring, and predictive maintenance to reduce (or even eliminate) manual tracking and human error.
- Cargo tracking: real-time monitoring of cargo can determine when and where cargo was delivered or even if it is has been compromised along the way.
- Condition monitoring: not only the ship itself but its contents (measuring multiple metrics such as temperature, humidity, VOCs, light, vibration, noise, dampness)
- Security and resilience: exploring and managing the security risks and potential entry points for cyber-attacks
- Communications and connectivity throughout a journey from port to port.
Please visit Eventbrite to register for this event. The event takes place on Zoom and the link will issued to participants by email before the meeting begins.
Our virtual coffees are very popular and we often have a waiting list, so if you sign up but can’t make it on the day, please let us know so we can release your place to someone else.