NOTE: This event has now passed.View current events
Bringing together partners to address the issue of gender balance in Computing Science education in Scotland, the Ada Scotland Festival has two broad aims: to provide a ‘one stop shop’ for addressing gender balance and establish a network of partners to identify opportunities for collaboration and reach in this space.
In 2020, the festival takes places online, and CENSIS is delighted to be involved.
Please join CENSIS Senior Engineer Helen Sandison for a talk and Q&A to hear her thoughts on the importance of computing and programming skills for an engineering or tech career, and the wide range of opportunities available. Helen will be talking about:
- why computing and programming are so important, with examples of some of the amazing things computers can do in engineering
- the many different types of job opportunities in engineering, and some pioneering women engineers
- statistics on the numbers of women working in engineering in the UK
- how Helen got into engineering and some of the work she’s doing just now, including Covid-19 related topics such as a face mask detector and a thermal camera to read someone’s temperature
- what changes we’ll see in engineering in the next 10 years – from robotics to green energy
- Scottish support groups for girls interesting in engineering