Thales UK in Glasgow and the University of the West of Scotland (UWS)
Until November 2016
Thales UK in Glasgow and the University of the West of Scotland (UWS) collaborated on a project to develop and demonstrate algorithms using low-resolution thermal image data that can automatically detect a human or vehicle and also identify one vehicle type from another.
The challenge was to develop an algorithm that can process low-resolution infrared imagery to recognise vehicles and humans, and identify the vehicle’s type in real time with limited processing hardware. The developed algorithm contains two key elements: (i) advanced image restoration and (ii) automatic detection and recognition. The project built upon UWS’s established expertise in image processing and object detection algorithms and Thales UK’s expertise in thermal imaging systems and imagery.
- Read more about Thales UK
- Read more about the University of the West of Scotland
- Read the press release about this story
- Read the BBC Scotland story about this project
- Listen to the BBC Scotland iPlayer story with interviews from CENSIS, UWS and Thales from 1:13:10 onwards (first broadcast on BBC Scotland’s ‘Good Morning Scotland’ programme, 17 July 2017 – iPlayer story available until 17 Aug 2017 only)