CENSIS IoT Centre Technology Seminar Series
Inovo Building, George Street, Glasgow G1 1RD
10:00am – 3:15pm
Apply to join CENSIS, Silicon Labs and Abercorn Electronics for a free, interactive design workshop; part of a series of seminars from the CENSIS IoT Centre. The workshop includes refreshments and lunch.
This is a one-day workshop that will run twice, not a two-day workshop.
The IoT Centre at CENSIS helps SMEs fast-track the development of IoT products and services. In addition to a demonstration area and project development space, we offer regular technology seminars with high profile vendors on how best to use their products to generate greater business efficiencies.
Who should apply?
These workshops are hands-on events aimed at experienced design engineers, typically with a background in electronic and electrical engineering or computer science; keeping them up-to-date with the latest technical developments around connected devices and IoT. It is not suitable for current undergraduates or new graduates/students or for people with limited design engineering experience.
Aims and objectives
This one-day workshop is a hands-on introduction to Bluetooth technologies and the considerations around using these technologies in your design. It will explore Silicon Labs’ Thunderboard™, leaving you with a better understanding of implementing and designing with this technology.
- 9:45 Registration and coffee
- 10:00 Introduction to the day
- 10:15 Introduction to Silicon Labs and Bluetooth technologies
- Bluetooth Smart / Low Energy and Bluetooth Mesh
- Silicon Labs Wireless SoCs and module product update
- Smallest Bluetooth Module in the world
- Introduction to Bluetooth software stack
- 11:30 Coffee
- 11:45 Bluetooth specifics and hands-on work. Introduction to SIlabs development environment including:
- Implementing custom BLE sensor hubs
- Adding custom GATT services and test with smartphone
- Use of peripherals with Bluetooth
- Use of security APIs
- Pairing and bonding
- 13:00 Lunch
- 13:45 Bluetooth specifics and hands-on work continues
- Multiprotocol BLE + Zigbee/Thread overview
- 15:15 Wrap up, final Q&A, close
You will need to bring your own laptop on the day. Development boards will be provided for the hands-on sessions.
There are no other prerequisites, however it would be advantageous for some of the hands on sessions if you have an iPhone 4S or higher, or an Android smartphone with BLE and Android 5.0 or higher.
Apply to join us
Places for this event are limited to 12 delegates per day and we expect there will be a lot of interest. To register your interest, email us and provide:
- Name and contact details (email and telephone number)
- Job title and current employer
- Please let us know in a couple of sentences why you are interested in this workshop
- If you have a preference for attending on 27 or 28 April
The deadline for applying is 6 April. We will contact you by 14 April to let you know the outcome of your application and, if you are successful, tell you which day you have been offered.
Please note that because of the limited number of places, we’ll have to give priority to engineers with experience or a proven interest in this area.
This is joint event from CENSIS, Silicon Labs and Abercorn Electronics and your application information may be shared with all three organisations.